August 12, 2019
I hope this letter finds you happy and healthy as you enjoy your last two weeks of summer break! We are all feeling a little crunched for time to get everything done before school starts with the early start school calendar! This will be my eighth year returning to North Cape as superintendent/principal. Each year, I reflect throughout the summer all that we have accomplished as a school community. We have
so much to be proud of that makes us the best school on the planet. I want to thank you for working together to help our students/your kids achieve success academically, socially, and personally! I know it can be challenging with all that goes on in our lives, but I truly feel we have the same goal in mind and we strive to achieve it together. I appreciate your support and look forward to working together to
meet the needs of all our students. Here is an update as we move into the new school year:
I am very happy to announce our new hires for the 2019-20 school year! We hired:
- Harvey Kandler, Head Custodian. Harvey was hired this past January with 22 years of experience in school building maintenance and preventive care. Harvey and Margie have done an incredible job getting the building ready for school! We are so grateful!
- Darlene Pichler, Administrative Assistant. Darlene was hired this past May with 21 years of experience as an administrative assistant in schools. She began working immediately and has acclimated very well to our North Cape School operations with the help of Judy Rousar. Please introduce yourself as you come in throughout the year!
- Brianna Visalda, Special Education Teacher. Brianna was hired last May for this school year after Maggie O’Malley resigned her position due to the anticipated move to Arizona with her husband. Brianna is a first year teacher who came highly recommended by all her references. We are so happy to have Brianna join the North Cape family.
- Lori Lund, Instructional Assistant. We are very pleased to announce Lori Lund, former 2nd Grade Teacher, is coming back to us as an instructional assistant. We get all of her knowledge and experience in a supportive role for our students!
- Chelsea Kuhlow, Music/Band Teachers. Chelsea is returning to North Cape in a full-time capacity to take on other responsibilities in instruction, while also being able to provide more lesson time with her very large band.
- Lastly, most recently, Erik Meinhardt resigned as the Reading Specialist/Interventionist to take on a leadership role in another district in literacy. Erik struggled with the decision because he loved working with our North Cape students. We are happy for him in his new endeavor and thank him for leading literacy to a new level at North Cape. I have posted the position to address this vacancy.
- This will be our fourth year implementing Reader’s/Writer’s Workshop. Several of our teachers took summer classes or workshops to continue learner strategies for implementation. Our goals are to consistently implement word study and vocabulary, enhance conferring and create improved strategy/guided reading groups across grade levels.
- We are also ready to increase our in-class professional development with Math expressions. We are also looking to expand our science curriculum with STEM based activity, for example, Project Lead the Way at the elementary level.
- This will be our second year with Chromebooks. Mrs. Menken will continue to support seamless integration of hardware and software to meet our instructional needs.
- Summer school was highly successful with over 26 students attending consistently. Thank you to our awesome teachers, Mrs. Lentz and Ms. Griffiths for making summer fun and academically engaging!
- Thursday, August 22, 2019 is our “Meet and Greet” night from 5:30-7:00 p.m. for parents and students. Parents received a notice at registration time. 5:30 – 6:30 is for students and parents to meet your teachers. I will be introducing all staff and presenting some important information at 6:30 p.m. in the Gym.
- Our inservice schedule is set for teachers and all staff starting on August 19, 20, 21 and 22. Students will start school on Monday, August 26, 2019.
Enjoy your last two weeks! I look forward to seeing everyone on August 22nd!